Moving expensive electronic items can be challenging. Most of us have, at the very least, amassed a small collection of electronics. Knowing how to keep appliances safely packed during transportation is of the utmost importance.
Getting Started with Moving Electronic Equipment
- First things first: check for packing or moving instructions in the device’s manual. If any instructions are provided by the manufacturer, these should be followed with the utmost care. After all, the manufacturer is likely to know best in this case. Be sure to set modern electronic devices to “transportation mode” to avoid internal damages during the move.
- If at all possible, it’s always best to save the original boxes your electronic devices arrived in. These tend to be filled with carefully fitted polystyrene and other materials that will ensure complete protection.
- If you can’t find the original packaging, you can source professional packing materials from a reputable moving company. Make sure to purchase sturdy boxes, newspaper, bubble wrap, adhesive tape, and coloured markers for easy numbering and labelling.
Some Tips on Disassembly
- When disassembling electronic devices that have numerous cords, it’s a good idea to make a note of where each specific cord connects with the device. Use coloured stickers to keep track. This will prevent you from needing to spend hours leafing through the installation instructions later on.
- Cover your electronic devices with moving pads or light blankets to protect them when in transit. Make sure to seal the moving boxes with quality packing tape to avoid any dust getting inside. Use bubble wrap and packing peanuts to provide additional protection during the move.
- Always remember to back up the software that comes with your electronic devices. Computers and Smart devices, in particular, are quite fiddly, so you need to be sure that you have everything you need to keep them running smoothly.
You may need to submit a full list of your devices and their components to your insurance provider before the move. Make sure to jot down all the information they could possibly require, including all serial numbers, if at all possible.